As I was updating my virtual learning platform with new icons and some structural and visual elements that have evolved since last semester, I began to re-evaluate
some of the pages and elements of the learning platform.
The following pages are the updated LMS pages with explanations of each page and pro/con lists.
• Need better grid throughout
• Navigation needs improvement (new options at the end)
• Communication/Connect: design with inspiration from social media platforms
• Should there be a mobile app for communication purposes? Or should it be a part of the LMS? Options to message or post to discussion boards.
• Icons need a better color system.
Thesis Topic: Middle School Virtual Learning
Goal: help middle school children adapt, navigate, and learn in the on-line learning environment.
Audience: Middle School Students & Teachers
This week I worked on refining and completing the website for OctoEd where teachers, administrators and even parents can get information about the LMS and order a free trial. After I made adjustments to the desktop website, I made 3 other versions using a responsive layout. I created two for the iPad: one horizontal, and one vertical. I think created a responsive version for a smart phone.
This week I also continued working on the Thesis Process Book and added to the visual system guides. I still want to add descriptive text along with the imagery.
This week I spent a great deal of time working on the website. I added the footer and a hamburger menu. I am not sure if it works better on the left side or the right. Although I am leaning towards the left. I am just not sure if it takes away from the OctoEd logo if they are on the same side. In addition, I added a virtual assistant chatbox, I edited the Get Started page to have 2 boxes instead of one, I created a sign-in page, and I created a video page. I also started thinking about the video and what it will consist of. It will have a walk-through of the LMS, so I don't think I can create it until the learning platform is completed.
This week I continued to modify my Thesis Journal. I made revisions based off of instructor feedback and added mood boards. I still need to write descriptions, re-work DS CHART AND Materials Matrix, and continue to add elements.
This week, I also decided to take a different direction with the website layout and am much happier with the results. I created 4 screens for feedback.
For Website user testing I plan on using the method of Usability Testing: evaluative method to observe a users task based experience I can use this method to determine frustration points and ease of use. If the users are asked to think out loud as they complete each task I can get a better understanding of how they view usability and ease of use. I will perform this via Zoom with classroom teachers.
This week I began experimenting with adding illustration to the visual system. I drew some basic doodle/sketchy school supplies and placed them within the circles. I trued a few variations and experimented putting the illustrations and new graphic elements into the system. I then did some future exploration of my icon system. I tried using all black within the circles and all white.
I am still working out layouts for the website and will update that this week.
Lastly, I became formatting my thesis process journal. I developed a layout and grid and began building the pages and placing the required sections and elements. It still needs some work with layout and how the elements will fill the pages. I will also update the DS chart and Materials Matrix to match the visual System more cohesively and to match the formatting of the book.
MFA Graphic Design Student at Academy of Art University of San Francisco (on-line)