Thesis 3: Week 7
This week, I put my focus on completing my final deliverables. I updated the website version for laptops and added ordering screens. I will also update the remainder of the responsive layouts that I have created for iPad and mobile devices. The last item needed is the 3-minute walk-through, which is still a work in progress. As I was revisiting some of the student material kit items, I noticed that they need some updates before comping, as the visual system has changed slightly including new word mark variations. I will update those this coming week.
The visual platform and social media page are complete and I have completed a walk-through video with voice-over. I am much happier with the result, however, still struggling with timing. Having a script has helped, but I need to line up my clicks, with the items I am discussing. I will continue to re-record.
I refined my horizontal word mark with the tagline learn, engage, connect, and posted a few options. I have highlighted the ones I will be using but am open to feedback.
I also refined the thesis video storyboard and began to map out ideas for the final PDF presentation. It is in a very rough stage but I am thinking about narrative and how to tell the story of OctoEd and why it is a solid solution to the problem at hand.
As for the overall visual system and concept behind OctoEd, I think that my visual system has stayed consistent in a lot of ways, but I also learned how to adapt it to different situations and applications. I learned to highlight different elements of the visual system based on the size and structure of the deliverables that I was developing, but by having a structure and designated design elements, it was easy to apply it to multiple deliverables. At one point I had added an illustrative element to the visual system, but after only using it in one or two places, I realized that it was not a strong addition and didn't really enhance the visual system in away way, so it was removed. One of the biggest changes that happened with my visual system was taking it from always having a white background, to using the colors from the system as background colors. It make a nice way to designate different deliverables a color to sort and organize things, such as subjects or types of deliverables. I think adding this element made it more cohesive.
Developing a cohesive visual system has allowed me to set up a series of deliverables that work together to tackle the problem of middle school virtual learning. First I had to create an engaging and interesting system that would appeal to my target audience. Using this system I was able to create a learning platform that would appeal to the senses and needs of the middle school student as well as the teachers and administrators. Being able to adapt this system to various applications allowed me to develop a wide range of solutions to the given problem. I think one of they key components in this is understanding the audience and seeing the problem from their perspective. Putting myself in their shoes allowed me to see solutions that would be effective for them. User testing has given me positive feedback that my solutions are effective and have potential.
Leave a Reply.
MFA Graphic Design Student at Academy of Art University of San Francisco (on-line)